To Cloth or not to Cloth...
Cloth diapers are not what they used to be. Or at least that's what I hear. Clara has been battling a reoccurring diaper rash for awhile now; it will be fine for a couple days and then it will be back despite my best efforts to get rid of it. I think it's her disposable diapers...which has prompted me to start researching cloth diapering. I considered it for a hot second while pregnant, but trying to figure out the logistics of going back to work when she was 10 weeks old and thinking about daycare, pumping, etc. overwhelmed me without adding in cloth diapering on top of it. Now that I SAH, the extra few loads of laundry a week don't intimidate me nearly as much. The thing that appeals to me the most about cloth diapering (besides hopefully not having to worry about her rash anymore) is the fact that even adding in the extra laundry expenses, I can save money on disposable diapers for her and for our future children! Also, doing a small thing to help the environment by not filling up landfills doesn't really hurt either. :) One of the things that scared me about cloth diapering (besides the poop factor) is the upfront cost. I was really scared to invest a few hundred bucks in cloth diapering if we decided we didn't like the kinds of diapers we bought or didn't like cloth diapering at all! But, thanks for my August 2011 moms, I heard about a trial offer from Jillian's Drawers where you can spend $160 (plus a $10 trial fee) and they send you various types of (new!) cloth diapers and if you decide you don't like them you can send any or all back after 21 days for a full refund, minus the $10 trial free. Can't beat that! So, I signed up and the diapers came in yesterday. We haven't started because I had to order some special laundry soap and it hasn't come in from Amazon yet. I am an Amazon addict, and I forgot that my prime membership expired last month and I didn't renew - no more free 2-day shipping for me. Once it comes in, I will pre-wash these bad boys and we'll be on our way! We ordered gender neutral colors just in case we decided to keep all of them, we can use them on our next baby. Aren't they cute?! They look so soft and comfortable.
Below is a list of what we received:
- 4 Unbleached Indian Prefolds - Regular Size
- Snappi Diapers Fastener
- Thirsties Duo Fab Fitted Diaper
- Thirsties Duo Wrap
- Fuzzi Bunz Elite One-Size Pocket Diaper w/ Inserts
- bumGenius! One-Size Pocker Diaper w/ Inserts
- Thirsties Duo Diaper
- Flip One-Size Hybrid Diaper w/ Stay-Dry Insert
- bumGenuis! Freetime One-Size All-in-One Diaper
- Tots Bots Easy Fit One-Size Diaper
- Flushabl Liners Sample
Just based off of what I've read, I think we'll end up going the All-in-One (AIO) and/or pocket route. It seems like the most low maintenance and similar to disposables. The pre-folds with a cover are more of the old-school cloth diaper route, although no pins are necessary anymore with the Snappi. They are definitely less expensive but in terms of low-maintenance and durability for future children, it's probably worth the investment to spend a bit more on AIOs. I've heard great things about bumGenius, Thirsties, and FuzziBunz. Anyone out there who CDs have some advice for me?! I am anxious to get into a routine with it and see how it works for our family.


I'm glad you've chosen cloth diapers. They truly are not as bad as people make them out to be-and dare I say easier? We were kind of wishy washy in Joplin-doing cloth about 40/60. Now that we've moved to Nome- where disposable diapers are beyond ridiculous, we do it 100% of the time. When we first started in Nome- we bought a small apartment washer- because Ryan was disgusted at the idea of poop diapers and clothes in one washer-a different story for a different day- anywho- got it on sale for less than $100. We decided after a lot of debate to ship it up with us and I'm so glad we did. We have six flip covers and a various number of the organic inserts-that we got on sale at a baby warehouse in joplin. Finley uses about 6 a day-though maybe less if the daycare lady wouldn't change him so often- he comes up with at least two dry diapers that are wadded up- anyways. We are cloth diaper converts and now I look forward to the day-someday-we have another kid and I can do it from the beginning full time! There are a ridiculous amount of cute diapers out there. Also thought I'd let you know, we've tried a multitude of cloth diapers- some we got from friends who chose not to cloth diaper after spending a fortune on a bunch of different ones and Clara's diaper needs will change. The diapers we first started out loving-babykicks, soon ended up not working when Finley's legs got a little chunky and he started peeing more. then we moved on to bum genius ones which would leak no matter what I tried and finally we're on flips.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I am also excited for when Finley decides to potty train- I've decided not to push it and he'll pee in the potty when he decides to pee in the potty- it's not worth the stress to try and have him potty trained by age 3-which was my original plan. I have seen plenty of parents in my line of work who I would deem "worthless" in that they drink like sailors and leave their kids outside in -20 degrees- and yet their kids are potty trained so I figured it will come when it comes.
Sorry for the long comment. I like to talk diapers.... and despite the ridiculously high disposable diaper cost, I have yet to meet anyone in Nome who cloth diapers their kiddo... it is just mind boggling to me....
Thanks for the info, Aubree! I wasn't sold on our Flip Hybrid at first but now I think I really like it and it's very cost effective...good to know her diaper needs will change. We definitely have a good variety now. We still have a good deal of disposables we're working through but will hopefully CD 100% after those run out (or she grows out of them). I wonder if no one in Nome CDs because people still have the old school (pins and stuff) idea of CD in their minds. I definitely did until I got pregnant and started researching these things...but even then didn't consider it until I decided to stay at home. It can be addicting, the cute little diapers. ;) Hehe.
ReplyDelete