I like to pretend I am an artist who can DIY it all (kitchen mat re-do)

Most of you who know me IRL (in real life...I like acronyms. AKA ILA. Figure that one out.) know that I am not crafty...I know how to get down with a glue gun and I love glitter (who doesn't?) but my future sister in law can attest that I am not a painter or artistic - just ask her about the Pic n' Paint plate disaster of 2009. Some of my close friends in Alaska can also tell you about the time (the first occurrence was in 2000) they tried to teach me to crochet and I asked if this is how you made string, and if I could just laminate my project together. If you don't believe me, check out some of the infant crafts I have done with Clara on this blog...in particular, the Easter one where I may have given a bird a beak...and a mouth. Twice. No big deal.

So anyways, while my pinterest followers may think that I am the next Martha Stewart based off of my pins, but really I am just an optimist and like to think one day I will be able to DIY it all. We all know we only do about 10% of the things we pin anyways. But this one I attempted and I think it actually turned out...I only attempted it because it had the words "Modge Podge" in it - I can handle modge podge. Most crafts that list fabric under "Things You Need" I don't even glance at because it also lists "needle, sewing machine, and/or thread" as well. I do want to learn how to sew though, anyone want to teach me? I have no skills, no supplies, and I nearly constantly have a 10 month old on my hip - I'M A READY AND EAGER STUDENT!

Our kitchen mat has looked terrible for nearly four years - basically since we bought it. *Someone* (me! it was me!) was a little too eager about their new Dyson vacuum and used it on the kitchen mat. That thing is STRONG and it sucked the pattern almost right off the mat. I was left with little fuzzy things...I didn't change it because 1) I'm lazy 2) our dog liked to lay on it and 3) I'm lazy. But Clara was starting to pick off the fuzz balls and eat them which was kind of a problem but mostly it just drew my attention back to how disgusting it really was. I am almost too embarrassed to show this picture since I just admitted the mat has been like this for four years...but then I remember that I've talked about peeing my pants, sitting in pee pants and spit up, childbirth and my nipples a lot on this blog so if you're still reading this you obviously still love me. Or just can't look away from the train wreck. Anyways, here is a before picture:



I followed the directions from this post. I think you could actually make this an outdoor welcome mat but I'm totally cool with my kid crawling all over this and possibly licking the modge podge off of the new mat (I'm kidding, I do watch her. Sometimes I worry you people are going to call CPS on me based off of my jokes. Or my actual parenting. Either way, scary.) The only thing I did differently was I flipped the kitchen mat around and modge podged (it's totally a verb) the back of the mat so when it was done I wouldn't have the lumps from the fuzziness...there's a funny sentence. Basically I did a layer of modge podge on the back of the mat, then layed the fabric down on top of it. I did another layer of modge podge on top. Then I trimmed the edges of the fabric and folded them over the back of the mat, and modge podged them to stick back there. In the inspiration post, she just trimmed the edges but I don't trust myself to cut perfectly, so I found it easier to fold it over back. I left it in the sun to dry one side for a few hours and then overnight to dry the other. Here is how it turned out:


And a close up of the fabric.

So anyways, I know you're basically all going to email Martha Stewart and ask if I can be the next intern. Or Vice-Pres because I really need to start making some mula. When you do, ask if I can bring my baby, wear yoga pants and eat goldfish all day. Pleaseandthankyou.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a non-running wogger thinks when they attempt to run

What happened?

Is there life outside of old nursing bras?