Crab Dip, Old Bay, and Hippie Green Trees
A little while back I wrote a post about the culture shock we experienced moving from AK to MD. I promised I would write a post about what I like about Maryland, mostly so I could keep my Maryland friends since according to some people I was a little harsh (I was holding back too, which should say something)...and since I'm lazy I'm just now getting around to writing it. It's kind of ironic that I started writing this list during a huge ass storm that is tearing through our state - the storms here are NOT making it on my list o' MD loves. But there are a few things that I do love about this place, most of them involving food. Not unlike most of what I love about Alaska. If you know me, this should come as no surprise. Of course my friends and family in Maryland are a given. ;)
- Cheesy, gooey, crab dip that makes my mouth go nom nom nom - Yes, like the song, Make Your Booty Go Boom Boom Boom - which is fitting in more ways than one now that I think about it. I AM GROSS. I know Marylanders (I'm being told this is not a word, I am making it a word even if it is not) are super proud of their little blue crabs. Eh. When you come from the state of King Crab, these aren't all that impressive. What IS impressive is when you take the flaky chunks of little blue crab meat and mix it with creamy, gooey, cheesy goodness and Old Bay (more in this later) and then spread it on little pieces of bread. O.M.G. Why am I writing this post on a night that I had cereal for dinner? My husband is so lucky to have married a domestic goddess. Now I might send him out to Bateman's for a crab pretzel. YES, ALASKANS, YOU READ THAT RIGHT. Crab Pretzel. As if crab dip was not enough, you can smear it on top of a large pretzel and eat it that way. See, no matter what state I'm in you can depend on me to make it easy for you to get fat. I'm helpful like that.
- Old Bay - This little Maryland seasoning mixture is perfect on anything. What is that? I'm talking about food some more? Um yes, do you know me but AT ALL?! Anyways, we put this gloriousness in crab dip (of course), it's good lightly sprinkled on potato salad or deviled eggs (in place of paprika...no need for both - SPICE OVERLOAD), steamed shrimp, and we also put it in our scrambled eggs or omelets...which is our favorite way to use it.
- I am a tree hugger - I am part hippie, part pearl-clutching Repub. Don't judge, what may seem like an oxymoron makes complete sense in the Great White North. We like contradiction up there. Part of my hippie status makes me a nature lover. Smear me in dirt, let me pee in the woods and sleep on rocks. Sounds super fun, right? I am not about to say the camping and nature in Maryland compares to Alaska, because I am not a liar. But the trees here are super pretty, and very lush (refraining from comment on living in a humid jungle, holding back, NO NEED FOR SARCASTIC COMMENT). That is actually something that surprises people about Maryland, since mostly it's known for being very urban. But even driving along main highways and interstates, there are almost always lots and lots of green trees. And they bloom early in the spring; it's pretty. It brings out my inner hippie. Don't worry, I am not so much of a hippie that I use lemon juice as deodorant (you can do that, you know). That would not fly no matter what state I lived in. I'm a sweater. Below are some pictures from one of our drives over the weekend. This was in a more rural area but it gives you an idea of what the trees are like.
- You mean I can see almost anyone in concert that I want to? I won't spend money on Blink 182 or Jewel tickets and risk them backing out? Sorry...too real? But honestly, if you have the money there are concerts and shows all over this place. In DC, Annapolis, Baltimore, etc. I have seen more concerts in the 4.5 years I've lived here than I ever saw in Anchorage. I know more performers are coming up to AK now (I know this because when someone comes, my entire facebook news feed is talking about whoever that person is) but if you like to go out and see shows, events, concerts, etc. this is a great place to do that. Going along with MD's entertainment options...The Caps. How Washington D.C. has an NHL team and Anchorage does not, I'll never know (I know, big stadium, expensive for other teams to travel to, etc., etc. I just think it's stupid) but it's pretty awesome to be able to watch the Caps play anytime I want...and by that I mean anytime my dad gets tickets since I'm too cheap to buy any myself.
- The Beach - No, not the Leo movie...Surprising, coming from me. I love that MD is not landlocked - there is water everywhere (which also means driving over bridges NOT FUN) and anytime I decide to get off my lazy butt and go to the beach I can...the water is pretty cold but according to my Alaskan husband not too cold to swim in - I agree to disagree on that one .;) If you see a big pale girl who may or may not have remembered to shave her legs, stuffing her face with a crab pretzel on the beach, it's most likely yours truly. You're welcome for that cute visual.
- The Melting Pot - I know this restaurant is not just in Maryland but seriously - what is better than a big pot of cheese? And then you can have a big pot of chocolate and peanut butter? This restaurant is how I got fat the fifth time.
- Shopping - I am not a very good mall shopper, I like to buy things online. But it's nice living in a state that does not require $33 in shipping fees for some place mats. It is also nice to have my choice of stores nearby, and some nice outlets not so far either. I'd still rather spend my money on crab pretzels, but when eating those crab pretzels causes me to have to go to stores that only sell special sizes, I know I'll have options in Maryland. ;)
- Fall Festivals - There really isn't such a thing in Alaska. By the time Halloween comes around, there could very well be snow on the ground and your pumpkins are either frozen or being eaten by a moose. But I love love love drinking a warm coffee (it's probably still 70 degrees here, but whatever) and going through corn mazes and pumpkin patches. It will be nice to see Clara get excited about the fall and dress her up in a costume that doesn't have to fit over a snowsuit one day. ;) Along the same note - The Maryland Renn Faire. Chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick. Enough said.
So Maryland is not all bad. In fact, if you don't mind the traffic, humidity, and fast paced lifestyle ( Have I made it pretty clear that I do? LOL) there are some great things...crab pretzels, pots of cheese, pumpkins, and finding sand in places there shouldn't be are just some of them. :)







Comments
Post a Comment