Homemade Cleaning Products

At the most recent MOPS meeting I attended, we went over homemade cleaning products and remedies that are easy and safe to use, and save money. I am going to try the dishwasher detergent that she showed us; I have attempted it before but mine wasn't effective.I'll blog about that after I've tried it. I mentioned to the other moms that I've made our laundry detergent for a few years now. I think I spent $35 on all the ingredients three years ago and still have about half of the ingredients left, so I'd say it's definitely paid off. I used to make it about twice, sometimes three times, a year but now with Clara I have had to start making it more often. I will probably end up making it four times a year...they weren't kidding when they said the laundry never stops once you have a kid! We use a different kind of detergent for her cloth diapers, I purchased it but am considering making a special kind when that runs out. Anyways, here is the link to the original recipe I used from the Duggar Family website, because...don't judge me, but I am a "19 Kids and Counting Fan". ;) It is also posted below.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent


4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda* **
½ Cup Borax
- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!! 

**Note from Erynne - I purchased it from amazon.com....back when my amazon addiction was in full swing, before they took away my prime benefits!!!!! DARN YOU, AMAZON and your addicting free 2-day shipping! 


I store the detergent in a 5 gallon bucket in a storage closet. It really does thicken and gel after sitting for awhile, so I've found it easiest to break it up w/ a large spoon and then pour it into a pitcher w/ a small spout before using that to refill the laundry soap dispenser.

I also recently started making a couple more things homemade, thank you pinterest.

Homemade Counter Cleaner

Fill a spray bottle 1/8 full of rubbing alcohol. Put a drop of Dawn detergent in the bottle. Fill the rest with warm water and shake. Use to clean kitchen counters.

Homemade Shower Cleaner

Fill a spray bottle half full of white vinegar. Fill the other half with Dawn Original Blue detergent. Original recipe linked here.

The  homemade recipe I plan on trying is homemade makeup remover wipes. Those things are expensive!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a non-running wogger thinks when they attempt to run

What happened?

Is there life outside of old nursing bras?