Positive Reinforcement
Positive Reinforcement: n; The offering of desired effects or consequences for a behavior with the intention of increasing the chance of that behavior being repeated in the future.
When I started this blog a few months ago I was doing it mainly to have some "me" time, because I enjoy writing and voicing my opinion, loudly (you mean you had no idea? I know, I'm so subtle) and I figured a blog would be perfect. That way I can write, and no one has to listen to my opinions if they don't want to, they can just not follow my posts. As I've continued I've really enjoyed writing things that I hope can help another mom out there, in some way - I am by no means an expert, I'm just stumbling through this whole "first time mom" thing, but if just knowing that someone else is stumbling through helps that one mom out there, that makes me happy. What I didn't anticipate when starting this blog was the amount of positive feedback I'd receive. I have started to get emails and messages about something I've posted, whether it be a question or someone simply stating they enjoyed something I wrote. I love it! Please keep the questions and comments coming.
When I wrote Our Breastfeeding and Postpartum Experience, I was really nervous. I was nervous to write it all down and re-live it, I was nervous that others would judge me for some of the choices I made, I thought people might think it was weird that I wrote it in the first place, and I was really nervous to admit I struggled with some mild PPD. Unfortunately that is just one of those topics that isn't talked about enough, and still has a terrible stigma surrounding it. But I am so, so glad I wrote it. I'm glad I got it off my chest, I'm glad I'll have it to read in the future, and I'm glad because it seems to have affected a couple other people as well. You can read the comments I received publicly at the bottom of the blog or on the facebook post where I linked it, but I just want to share with you a few messages I received privately. The senders will remain anonymous for their protection ;) and to spare them any embarrassment. But it meant a lot to me to receive these messages:
"Hell of a blog post lady, thanks for making me less judge-y."
"...while I'm not the most comfortable person when it comes to the whole 'giving life' thing, I still thought it was very good. You made a point that maybe it will help a woman out there that is going through the same thing. It might do more than that - it gives guys like me (the average guy) insight we otherwise wouldn't have to understand an issues that I don't think we can fully comprehend. So maybe it will help some guys out there be better husbands and fathers."
"I still think you were too hard on yourself...like you mentioned, each case is different, and we can't judge. Remember that child two may not latch on either and that won't be a reflection on you. You made the right choice."
Like I said, I don't write for these kinds of affirmations...but they certainly don't hurt. :) And based off of the definition of positive reinforcement above, I think the senders of these messages were certainly effective...The chances of this "behavior" of over-sharing my not-so-subtle opinions on life and mommy-hood continuing are pretty good. ;)
When I started this blog a few months ago I was doing it mainly to have some "me" time, because I enjoy writing and voicing my opinion, loudly (you mean you had no idea? I know, I'm so subtle) and I figured a blog would be perfect. That way I can write, and no one has to listen to my opinions if they don't want to, they can just not follow my posts. As I've continued I've really enjoyed writing things that I hope can help another mom out there, in some way - I am by no means an expert, I'm just stumbling through this whole "first time mom" thing, but if just knowing that someone else is stumbling through helps that one mom out there, that makes me happy. What I didn't anticipate when starting this blog was the amount of positive feedback I'd receive. I have started to get emails and messages about something I've posted, whether it be a question or someone simply stating they enjoyed something I wrote. I love it! Please keep the questions and comments coming.
When I wrote Our Breastfeeding and Postpartum Experience, I was really nervous. I was nervous to write it all down and re-live it, I was nervous that others would judge me for some of the choices I made, I thought people might think it was weird that I wrote it in the first place, and I was really nervous to admit I struggled with some mild PPD. Unfortunately that is just one of those topics that isn't talked about enough, and still has a terrible stigma surrounding it. But I am so, so glad I wrote it. I'm glad I got it off my chest, I'm glad I'll have it to read in the future, and I'm glad because it seems to have affected a couple other people as well. You can read the comments I received publicly at the bottom of the blog or on the facebook post where I linked it, but I just want to share with you a few messages I received privately. The senders will remain anonymous for their protection ;) and to spare them any embarrassment. But it meant a lot to me to receive these messages:
"Hell of a blog post lady, thanks for making me less judge-y."
"...while I'm not the most comfortable person when it comes to the whole 'giving life' thing, I still thought it was very good. You made a point that maybe it will help a woman out there that is going through the same thing. It might do more than that - it gives guys like me (the average guy) insight we otherwise wouldn't have to understand an issues that I don't think we can fully comprehend. So maybe it will help some guys out there be better husbands and fathers."
"I still think you were too hard on yourself...like you mentioned, each case is different, and we can't judge. Remember that child two may not latch on either and that won't be a reflection on you. You made the right choice."
Like I said, I don't write for these kinds of affirmations...but they certainly don't hurt. :) And based off of the definition of positive reinforcement above, I think the senders of these messages were certainly effective...The chances of this "behavior" of over-sharing my not-so-subtle opinions on life and mommy-hood continuing are pretty good. ;)
Comments
Post a Comment