Instead
Instead
She complained of her curves
She complained of her curves
From her thighs to her round bottom
She said I was lucky I didn’t have ‘em
She was beautiful to me
With blonde curls and eyes the color of the sea
But she didn’t seem to like her looks
And worried about the food that was cooked
I didn’t look much like her
I took more after my father
So if her long legs and strong arms weren’t the future for me
Maybe I should look to the stars on the TV
Heroin chic was hot
My frizzy hair, a soft tummy, and short, strong legs were not
A hair straightener, eye shadow, and skipping breakfast
Maybe that was for the best
So I restricted
And then I binged
Forever and ever amen
That’s what it felt like, even though it was just 33 years
Before I stopped restricting my food and my tears
Tears over my body
Tears over my pain
Tears over all the weight loss and weight gain
I cried for my parents who didn’t know any better
I cried for myself who wished that they did
I cried for my daughters and what the world told them
I cried for the body that was made to hold them
How much power was I giving that scale
How many more jokes could I make about being a whale
It had to stop now
Before it started with my kids
I looked in the mirror and named things I loved
I tried to ignore the thoughts telling me I was gross, unlovable, and fat
I put food in my body to fuel it
I moved my body like I loved it
I noticed the curves from my waist to my hips
And the uneven smile of my lips
I saw the cream color of my soft skin
And the aging hands made to hold my kin
I saw the ocean in my own eyes
And one day I didn’t hate myself after I ate fries
Another day I ate kale
And not because I thought I was a whale
Not every day and not every second
But little by little
I learned I was loved
Loved by the One who created me
And by many after
But more importantly I learned I loved myself
Not for or because of or in spite of my stomach
Or for or because of or in spite of my curls
Just because I was made by Love to love
And once that is known
It can’t be unknown
It spreads all over the curve of my hips
It runs from my heart to my finger tips
Once your body knows love, there’s no turning back
Do for your body what it needs to know Love
But know that for me it’s not what you might think
It’s not compliments on weight loss or the telling silence on gain
It’s not the way I style my hair or the size of my frame
It’s loving and eating and moving and dancing
It’s breathing and baking and holding and walking
It’s breathing fresh air and drinking hot coffee
It’s warm sheets and sunsets and laughing
So when I complain, please God let it be
Not of the body you gave me
Let it be of injustice and trauma and pain
I will cry for my brothers and sisters who hurt and who ache
And then I will look down at my soft tummy, small hands, strong calves and heart full of love
And I will not cry for me or this body,
but instead
I will bake.

Comments
Post a Comment