Wait, what now? I'm a MOM?!
You know those moments that make you stop and think, "Holy $*&#! I'm really a mom?" (Yes, my thoughts are that eloquent...) Yes, some of these happen right away, when you see the clock read 2:00 a.m. and it's not because you're out partying...Or while you're doing something only a mom can do, like nursing your baby. But there are more "real" moments than even that, and I have a feeling it's only going to continue that way...
- When you're going pee and look around to realize that you didn't shut the door. Your baby is asleep...no need for you to pee with the door open, but you just can't remember the last time you peed alone. Aw, crap, this isn't your house.
- It takes you 30 minutes to get the dirty laundry from upstairs, to downstairs in the washer...because you have a child tugging on your leg bringing your pants to the ground the entire time. It's the tugging on the shirt...pants...body parts...that makes me stop and go "Wow, wait a minute here..."
- Guilt. Ok so guilt starts oozing out of your pores the minute you see that second pink line pop up (OMG I ate smoked salmon, OMG should I have done/not done the NT scan, OMG I want to eat that entire gallon of ice cream - will that give my child ADHD?!...) but I'm talking about true mommy guilt. Like the guilt you feel when your child's sick for the first time, or when you leave them w/ someone else so you can go to the gym/out to dinner w/ your husband or a friend/pee alone with the door open. The guilt you feel for having your child in daycare or having them stay home with you and not feeling equipped, for feeding them crackers for dinner one night (before your child had a chance at valedictorian of their preschool class, but now, after that cracker dinner...who knows...) Guilt...preggos, get used to it. It will keep you up at night.
- When you look up and see this in your kitchen:
- Someone asks for a pen out in public and you reach into your purse and pull out goldfish, a diaper, a tide stain stick, lip gloss, water, a sippy cup, your planner, baby wipes, and seven pens.
- The moment when a family member tells you "Wow, you look nice." - You have on jeans, a cardigan, necklace, and earrings...and yeah, you must look really nice compared to your normal attire of stained yoga pants and t-shirts with sports logos printed on them.
What are your "real mom" moments?

My real mom moments? Hmm. When I am at the mall or someplace really public and one of my kids pitches a shit fit and goes boneless on the dirty floor because I won't - god forbid - buy them a cookie from Mrs. Fields and everyone looks at me like I am a child abuser as the tears and the snot flow down my child (ren)'s face(s). And then I just want to join them on the dirty floor and cry too. But I would want a vodka soda as I curl up in the fetal position.
ReplyDeleteKiran