Dear, Clara...Love, Mom
First, I want to apologize to my 6.3 readers for not blogging hardly at all this summer. It has seriously been the craziest summer and probably won't slow down for another month. And then we have the holidays (!!!!!! CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!!!!!) but I am trying to get back into the swing of things and get my priorities in check...you know, like putting blogging and chocolate and cheese back at the top of the list. I also plan to do the following posts coming up:
Clara's 1st Birthday Party - Food
Clara's 1st Birthday Party - Crafts/Decor
Summer 2012 Weddings and Showers and Crafts and Recipes and Stuff
My BFF Soulmate
But before I do all that, here is my latest mushy and gushy blog post. I probably should have come back into the blogosphere (it's a word) with something witty and/or about food, but oh well. So, one of the things at Clara's party was a station for guests to write her a birthday message to open on her 18th birthday. They are sealed and despite my lack of self-control, I've made it almost three weeks without peaking! 17 more years to go! However, I wrote Clara a letter myself that I don't want her to have to wait until her 18th birthday to open. Because I like to talk and give unsolicited advice and this is one of the ways I plan on doing that with my kid. ;) So, enjoy.
August 14, 2012
Dear Clara,
Happy First Birthday! I can't believe you're one. I used to hear parents say that all the time - "Where has the time gone?" or "I can't believe you're six!" and I thought it was just something parents said, but now I know. Time truly does fly, especially when you're having fun. And learning how to be a mom to the best baby in the world. You have taught me so much already and I can't wait to learn more from you, and hopefully teach you a few things myself.
I wouldn't be a true mom if I didn't give you some sort of guilt trip for the 35 hours of labor you put me through. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot about that for, oh...the rest of your life. ;) But when I tell you that you were worth it, I mean it. I'd do it over again, one hundred times, to get you. That labor and delivery should have been a sign of your little (big!) personality. You are feisty, sassy, independent, and stubborn like me. You are sweet, silly, and kind like your dad. I love that it seems you've gotten the best of both our personalities. I can't wait to see what kind of person you grow into, but from day one you've taught us a lot about yourself already. You've also taught me to find my inner mama bear and fight for you. We struggled at first, there were doctors who pushed me to take care of you in ways I didn't want to. We eventually figured out our relationship a little bit more, with trial and error and prayers and tears. That's probably how it's going to be for the rest of your life with me, huh? Lots of praying and crying and laughing and learning. It's how life should be.
I wish I could express in words what being a mom to you is like, but it's difficult. I know, me - your talkative mama, at a loss for the right words. But there are some things that just can't be explained and my love for you is one of them...that doesn't mean that I won't continue to try to demonstrate my love and care for you. Every day with you is a blessing and I want you to know that. You have brought so much joy to our lives and I'm confident you will continue to do so.
As I watch you grow up and see your personality develop even more, I am reminded that there is so much that I want to teach you. I hope I'm able to. I hope you grow into a person who loves God and serves others. Who can laugh at yourself...who is independent and goes after what you want. (Somehow I have a feeling this will not be something I need to teach you to do...you've demonstrated that behavior over and over again your first year. Some things are just innate.;) ) I hope you make great friends and treasure those friendships. I hope you find your passion(s!) and nurture your talents. I hope you get all the education you possibly can - both in school and in the world around you. I hope you can lose yourself in a great book and find that books can change you, for the better. I want you to experience the freedom of being on a mountaintop and looking down at what you've accomplished, and looking up at what's yet to come. I hope one day you can experience motherhood. It's the best experience in the world, and maybe then you'll come to understand the love I have for you - and those words I can't find, they'll be unnecessary then...because you'll get it, as only a mother can. There are so many life experiences waiting for you, and I'm still in awe that I get to be the one that helps and teach you along the way.
Thank you, sweet girl, for being you. For teaching me about yourself, myself, and your father. Happy First Birthday - I can't wait to celebrate so many more with you.
Love,
Mom
"Little Miss Magic...Whatcha Gonna Be?" - Jimmy Buffet
Clara's 1st Birthday Party - Food
Clara's 1st Birthday Party - Crafts/Decor
Summer 2012 Weddings and Showers and Crafts and Recipes and Stuff
My BFF Soulmate
But before I do all that, here is my latest mushy and gushy blog post. I probably should have come back into the blogosphere (it's a word) with something witty and/or about food, but oh well. So, one of the things at Clara's party was a station for guests to write her a birthday message to open on her 18th birthday. They are sealed and despite my lack of self-control, I've made it almost three weeks without peaking! 17 more years to go! However, I wrote Clara a letter myself that I don't want her to have to wait until her 18th birthday to open. Because I like to talk and give unsolicited advice and this is one of the ways I plan on doing that with my kid. ;) So, enjoy.
August 14, 2012
Dear Clara,
Happy First Birthday! I can't believe you're one. I used to hear parents say that all the time - "Where has the time gone?" or "I can't believe you're six!" and I thought it was just something parents said, but now I know. Time truly does fly, especially when you're having fun. And learning how to be a mom to the best baby in the world. You have taught me so much already and I can't wait to learn more from you, and hopefully teach you a few things myself.
I wouldn't be a true mom if I didn't give you some sort of guilt trip for the 35 hours of labor you put me through. I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot about that for, oh...the rest of your life. ;) But when I tell you that you were worth it, I mean it. I'd do it over again, one hundred times, to get you. That labor and delivery should have been a sign of your little (big!) personality. You are feisty, sassy, independent, and stubborn like me. You are sweet, silly, and kind like your dad. I love that it seems you've gotten the best of both our personalities. I can't wait to see what kind of person you grow into, but from day one you've taught us a lot about yourself already. You've also taught me to find my inner mama bear and fight for you. We struggled at first, there were doctors who pushed me to take care of you in ways I didn't want to. We eventually figured out our relationship a little bit more, with trial and error and prayers and tears. That's probably how it's going to be for the rest of your life with me, huh? Lots of praying and crying and laughing and learning. It's how life should be.
I wish I could express in words what being a mom to you is like, but it's difficult. I know, me - your talkative mama, at a loss for the right words. But there are some things that just can't be explained and my love for you is one of them...that doesn't mean that I won't continue to try to demonstrate my love and care for you. Every day with you is a blessing and I want you to know that. You have brought so much joy to our lives and I'm confident you will continue to do so.
As I watch you grow up and see your personality develop even more, I am reminded that there is so much that I want to teach you. I hope I'm able to. I hope you grow into a person who loves God and serves others. Who can laugh at yourself...who is independent and goes after what you want. (Somehow I have a feeling this will not be something I need to teach you to do...you've demonstrated that behavior over and over again your first year. Some things are just innate.;) ) I hope you make great friends and treasure those friendships. I hope you find your passion(s!) and nurture your talents. I hope you get all the education you possibly can - both in school and in the world around you. I hope you can lose yourself in a great book and find that books can change you, for the better. I want you to experience the freedom of being on a mountaintop and looking down at what you've accomplished, and looking up at what's yet to come. I hope one day you can experience motherhood. It's the best experience in the world, and maybe then you'll come to understand the love I have for you - and those words I can't find, they'll be unnecessary then...because you'll get it, as only a mother can. There are so many life experiences waiting for you, and I'm still in awe that I get to be the one that helps and teach you along the way.
Thank you, sweet girl, for being you. For teaching me about yourself, myself, and your father. Happy First Birthday - I can't wait to celebrate so many more with you.
Love,
Mom
"Little Miss Magic...Whatcha Gonna Be?" - Jimmy Buffet


Comments
Post a Comment