Months 6-12: Gear I Could Not Have Lived Without
Title is pretty self-explanatory, right? ;) Here is a link to the first part of this "series" - The First Six Months: Baby Gear I Could Not Have Lived Without. I am not doing to do a "gear I COULD have live without" for 6-12 months, because I think parents are a lot more likely to buy gear they may not use the first six months (at least I was.)
The Ergo Carrier - Yes, again. This is so carrier is so fabulous that it makes both lists. It's good for newborns (needs a newborn insert or do the cheap solution I wish I had done, roll up a blanket until they are big enough to go without it) and older babies. It's good for hiking. Traveling. Chores around the house. Comfortable for the adult and safe and comfortable for the baby, unlike a lot of the crotch danglers you see around. I have the ergo sport because I am really athletic, if you haven't already gotten that vibe from my blog. Jokes, I have the ergo sport because it's made of a lighter weight material and I sweat a lot. So basically the opposite of athletic. And also because it was a great deal on babysteals one day - watch for it! To demonstrate the versatility of the ergo, pictures: (Andplusalso because I like pictures.)
The Ergo Carrier - Yes, again. This is so carrier is so fabulous that it makes both lists. It's good for newborns (needs a newborn insert or do the cheap solution I wish I had done, roll up a blanket until they are big enough to go without it) and older babies. It's good for hiking. Traveling. Chores around the house. Comfortable for the adult and safe and comfortable for the baby, unlike a lot of the crotch danglers you see around. I have the ergo sport because I am really athletic, if you haven't already gotten that vibe from my blog. Jokes, I have the ergo sport because it's made of a lighter weight material and I sweat a lot. So basically the opposite of athletic. And also because it was a great deal on babysteals one day - watch for it! To demonstrate the versatility of the ergo, pictures: (Andplusalso because I like pictures.)
In Alaska
Traveling
Worn as a backpack carrier hiking in Maryland
Daddy wears Clara when she is 3 weeks old
Other items from the previous list that have continued to be lifesavers but don't deserve tons of pictures like the Ergo - Wubbanub, White Noise Machine, Baby Jogger City Mini, Graco Snugride 30 infant car seat.
Convertible Car Seat - Holy crap did this decision take me a long time. I feel like I started researching it when she was three months old and discovered her height was not slowing down (she did not get that from me!). We finally decided on the Britax Roundabout 55. It was a long decision based on safety ratings, price, and what would work in our current and possible future vehicles. This decision is pretty personal so I'm not sure that what we chose could help anyone, but I would like to recommend the Britax brand...overall I've found they are rated very safely. We still haven't picked a second car seat for Ian's car, because it hasn't been necessary yet. We just switched to the convertible seat about a month ago.
The First Years Jet Stroller - A second, less expensive, umbrella stroller is really nice to keep in the car for the shopping mall and other small excursions. We decided on the stroller that we did based off of reviews in the Baby Bargains book. The only complaint I have is I wish the storage basket was larger (as I do with the City Mini, I think it's just a stroller thing) and the canopy doesn't really do much...it hardly covers her and it got bent really easily somehow. Other than that, it's light, pretty durable, decent looking and everything else you want in an umbrella stroller. I really like the top organizer with room for drinks and snacks. Overall, I'm a fan.
Note I stole Clara's Wubbanub so she wouldn't have it in her mouth for the picture. She is thrilled.
Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair - If you are short on floor space, this is really nice. Except it does take up an extra seat, so if you're short on floor space AND seating (like us) you are kind of SOL. I recently ended up taking off the nice comfy padding because it was getting dirty and grimy and I was having to wash it like, every day. Or I probably should have.
We think Clara likes it. Either that or she is just a product of her parents and loves food.
Phil and Ted Metoo Highchair - This is "extra", but we love it. My parents bought it for their house and that way we can steal it every time we travel. It clips onto a table or countertop. Love love love.
Plum Organics Pouch Food - Ok so technically this isn't "gear" but this stuff is fantastic. We really didn't do a lot of purees with Clara (read more about baby-led weaning here), but when when we did, I made them from scratch. But little miss independent does not like to be spoon fed and never has...She can hold these by herself and suck it down like a bottle. I know some parents complain that their kids squirt it everywhere, but luckily that has only been a problem once or twice and I think it's because she wasn't hungry. They are great for while you're out, or for ensuring that she does get some fruits and veggies. I cannot rave enough about these. Gerber and Target also make their own brand.
Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Play Table - Clara started playing with this around 7 months old when she started standing up while holding on, and still plays with it today. Purchased at Babies R' Us for $12 and five months (so far) of use? Enough said.
Ikea Walker (Ekkore) - I actually got this recommendation from modgblog.com (check out her blog, she is hysterical) and I'm glad I did. It's simple and wooden w/o fancy flashing lights (the hippie in me loves this) and not expensive at all.
Sippy Cups - As with a lot of things, this takes trial and error, but we determined Clara likes the straw sippy cups the best. The ones she uses the most are the Munchkin Mighty Grip Flip Straw Cups, Playtex Baby Lil' Gripper Twist N' Click Straw Cups, and the Playtex Baby First Lil' Gripper Twist N' Click Straw Trainer Cups. My only complaint (besides the long ass names, seriously? "Hey Babe, can you grab Clara a sippy cup?! Not the Munchkin Mighty Grip Flip Straw Cup, but the Playtex Baby Lil' Gripper Twist N' Click Straw Cup! Thanks!") is that with the second cup I listed (no way in hell am I typing that name again) we sometimes have an issue of the straw getting pinched underneath the clippy part.
Playskool Explore and Grow Busy Ball Popper - A friend gave us their used one and Clara is entranced by it. Love.
Obviously, I am not including cloth diapers, creams, her crib, etc. Mostly because I'm lazy...but if there's a sudden interest between my 6.3 readers (I was told I needed to up the number of readers last time), I will go right ahead...;)









Comments
Post a Comment