A Poem for Quarantined Parents

When all of this first happened
We talked of the curve being flattened
So when Covid 19 first hit,
At first it seemed like it would just involve me having to sit

I wasn't that sad, I'm not gonna lie
Finally, an excuse not to have to hug to say hi
I felt selfishly relieved
I could drop the extracurricular schedule that was so complexly weaved

Pretty soon it became clear
The only thing dropping would be a tear
And not just one or two or three
So much crying and whining and being a bear
and that's not including the kids, that's just talking about me

I tried to watch Netflix and make my own cleaning wipes
I wanted to learn a new craft and rack up some Bumble swipes
But all of those hopes and dreams quickly faded
As google classroom, Zoom, and Phonics apps were upgraded

Suddenly I was a homeschool teacher
and learning how to be a video making children's preacher
All the technology was driving me up a wall
I watched children balancing snacks and a macbook, trying not to fall
"Where did I put this screen?" ran over and over in my head
Plus side is I get to have telehealth therapy from my bed

I thought packing lunches was bad
I knew nothing about the kitchen time that was about to be had
Who knew that instead of counting sheep, at night I'd hear my children's cries for a snack
Making me the worst kind of insomniac 

Every jump, stumble, and ride of the bike
I'd cry out to the kids "don't hit your head, knees, fingers or the like!"
An ER trip is out of the question
When we are WebMDing every sign of congestion

When I mask up for an essential trip out of the house
I start treating everyone like they're my future spouse
PEOPLE, PEOPLE!!! my brain inwardly screams
As I try to remember not to bring the convo to awkward extremes
I can't help it, try as I might 
What I wouldn't give to have a real hug at the end of the night

But not from my kids, no please, not anymore
I'm so sick of them climbing on me, from my arms down to the floor
I love them so much, my heart could just burst
But last tine I was this touched out, was when they were nursed

I'm rationing toilet paper, milk, and bread
Because a trip to the store with masked kids fills me with dread
Remember when Target alone used to be a vacation
Oh wait, that hasn't changed, that's been the same since Creation

I love it when grandparents or childless friends
Tell me I'll miss this time, like I'm not burning the candle at both ends
Ok, I get it, I'm luckier than most 
But your instagram stories of patio drinks and toasts?
Don't compare to my makeshift homeschool lessons and fake daily schedule posts

Even for someone healthy and employed 
It's hard to remember life before what Covid destroyed
I'm stressed, I'm tired and I'm cranky,
And maybe I should shower more, I'm kinda stanky

The other day, I dressed up and put on a real shirt and jeans
My daughter asked me why I was so fancy and so clean
I told her it was time for a shower
We were all starting to smell a little sour

Somedays I think this is ending soon
Some days I am singing a different tune
I don't want to juggle being a single mom and video preacher, 
all while being a pre-nursing student and homeschool teacher

That said, I can't help but kind of believe
Those boomers with the rose colored glasses, whose optimism is kinda a pet peeve
Maybe they shouldn't dole out unsolicited advice
But these slow mornings with the kids, they're kinda nice

There's more cuddles and less money spent on gas
We all get to wear pajamas to class
Plus, we are living in a world where there's Door Dash

So don't tell me it's easy and I should be grateful
I just feel stubborn and a little hateful
Because life right now, it's really freaking hard
But THANK GOD for a finally snow free backyard

It's not easy, my life isn't perfect
And third grade math isn't my best subject
But we have Facetime with friends, and late night bedtime convos
And silly Zoom class sessions filled with echos

There's still laughter, there's still hope
And my oldest just learned how to cut a cantaloupe
The lessons these kids are learning 
Might have them go after life with a ravenous yearning

I guess I'll accept
That this is 2020's fate
As long as the schools promise
Not to push back the Fall start date.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a non-running wogger thinks when they attempt to run

What happened?

Is there life outside of old nursing bras?