Why aren't you writing anymore?
I have been asked that question a couple times lately, and I have struggled to come up with an answer. This is the best I could do.
When a writer stops writing, it's because she's living. When she stops writing, it's because the story is still being written. The story may be joyful, it may be painful, it may be confusing or unclear...and if she writes it while she feels it, the story, HER story, doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's tainted with the current pain or joy; it may feel therapeutic but it's not healing. In the past, I may have identified some have of these circumstances as writer's block but now I know it was just...life, and a lesson I needed to learn: listen first, speak (write) later.
One of my favorite writers said "make sure you share from your scars, not your open wounds." Some things are too raw for me to be an author right now. And I've needed to learn how to just be still...just be. I needed to learn the difference between writing as a coping mechanism and writing as a gift. So when I write again, it will be as a gift, to tell a story - the full, healed, scarred and lived story...not the raw, band-aided, selfish one.
Comments
Post a Comment