Reflections on Haddie's Birth

Unlike my reflections on Clara's birth story, I really do not have many reflections about Haddie's. I have very few regrets about how the experience went and how I handled it. Maybe I could have said the F word less but in the long run does that really matter? I hope not. lol.

There are two main things I have told people about Haddie's birth. One is, I am not sure if we will ever have a third child (ask me when I sleep for more than 3 hours in a row) but I would have one just to go through Geneva Woods Birth Center again. Ok that's not a real reason to have a third, I know. But going into that decision (YEARS from now), I can at least know with confidence that me and my baby will be taken care of. Their staff is amazing. I felt cared for and most importantly, safe. I can't say I felt that way my entire pregnancy with Clara with the large OB office in Maryland. For low risk mothers, this is an excellent option.

The other thing I tell people is, I know it hurt like a bitch but I don't remember what the pain felt like anymore. I can't say that I immediately forgot it. I actually think I was in shock a little bit after Haddie's birth. If I have any regrets, it would be that I went in overly confident because I had experienced labor before with an epidural. What I should have prepared myself a bit more for is that every labor is different. There were definite similarities between the girls' births but distinct differences too. Haddie's was shorter (probably because of the lack of meds), but even before the point I would have had the epidural hers was more painful. It's funny because they are like that in life - definite similarities but oh so different. It makes it so much more clear to me that God gives us the children we need, when we need them.

One of the main reasons I chose to go with Geneva Woods was because of their breastfeeding support/lactation consultant, and how my birth experience would hopefully set us up for breastfeeding success. I will go into more detail on that later (yeah, probably four months down the road when I sit down to write again) but I can happily say we are still breastfeeding and Haddie is almost four months old and thriving. I can say that with confidence because I'm paranoid and have a bit of PTSD from my experience with Clara and Haddie's start, and take her in to be weighed frequently. lol. It was and sometimes still is a struggle, but I am proud of myself for making it work. Without going into too much detail, I can also say that I have very little regrets over my breastfeeding experience with Clara now, because nursing Haddie has made me realize I did everything I could have with Clara. Everything. And Clara is happy and healthy just like her little sister.

I love talking about both of my daughters (clearly), and their births. I am thrilled with how Haddie's birth turned out, but it couldn't have turned out that way if I didn't have Clara the way I did, first. Again a reminder of God's timing. Pretty spectacular.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a non-running wogger thinks when they attempt to run

What happened?

Is there life outside of old nursing bras?